Monday, July 6, 2015

Seventy-fourth Week - June 23, 2015


Hello, hello!!
It has been a rather cold, rainy, and windy week here in the land down under!  Luckily all that matters very little as one who is part of the best mission in the World!
This week Elder Orr and I were blessed to set a baptismal date with YiFei for the 4th of July.  Yifei is such a great example to us of someone who is putting his faith in the Lord.  One of the things he really wants to do before he is baptized is learn a lot about Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith.  This is something that he has been talking about for a while so we hope that he will continue to recognize the Lord feeding him truth and knowledge that will help him come closer to the Savior.  Elder Orr and I invited and committed Yifei to read the Joseph Smith history from the Pearl of Great Price.  We promised him that as he did so he would be able to liken himself to Joseph and be able to learn all he needed prior to his baptism.
Yifei's experience brings to light a concern many of us face throughout the course of our lives.  Yifei has had a multitude of his prayers answered, yet he wants more.  Now, don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with that, but often times I think we want more before we are willing to do our end of the work.  I know that I am guilty of this on a series of accounts throughout my life.  However, I have come to learn on my mission that it is fine to always want to learn and receive greater light and knowledge, but that must not keep us from doing what we know we should do.  Furthermore, the very truth in which each of us may be seeking will often only come after we do what the Lord has asked us even though we feel that we should receive a witness before the trial of our faith.  I would pray that each of us would always put our trust in the Lord first and recognize that he will always give to him who seeketh, but it is in his way and his own time.
It seems like yesterday I was writing a Happy Birthday note to my dad and here it is again!  I guess time really does fly.  I want to take a moment to express my love, appreciation, and gratitude for all that he has done for me.  Last year I remember linking a video titled, "Heavenly Father, Earthly Father."  I would encourage each of us this year to look back on that video; however, my comments this year I would like to relate from a talk by Elder Christofferson titled, "Let Us Be Men."  If you are looking for a talk that would define who my father is, then look no further.  If you go to listen or read that talk on LDS, you will know exactly who my father is.  In his talk Elder Christofferson discusses several characteristics attributed to true manhood of which are greatly expressed in my own Father's life.
I have had the opportunity to be able to reflect on my life and have only grown in appreciation for the example that my father has set.  I have been able to see throughout my life, and on my mission especially, that fatherhood and leading a family does not always come to be the way that I have experienced it.  Such experiences have only deepened my gratitude and resolve to become more like my own father.  Truly being like my father is something I want to be.  If there is any single greatest accomplishment in my life it is for me to be able to walk as my own father walked.  His endless service, devotion to family, and personal faith in the Savior makes him an individual all would deem fit to follow.  On this special day, I thank him for investing 21 years in me and for helping me every step along the way.  I don't think my brothers or myself have ever or will ever fully understand the sacrifices that he has made to help us be who we are.  With one son on a mission and one about to leave with two others following, I can say that he has reared them in a manner that is pleasing to his Heavenly Father. 
 My father will tell you he is not a perfect man, but what makes him the man he is, is that he recognizes and improves on those things.  While they may not be easy true manhood, as expressed in my father, is looking inward and asking, "Lord, is it I?"  To those of us at whatever stage we may be in our lives, my hope and my prayer is that we are able to find examples of true manhood, follow them, and then emulate all that they have shown us in our lives.  Truly the Savior is one who has followed this pattern of life and constantly receives recognition from his own Father in the words, "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased."  My hope is that my own father will be able to say such things about me and the rest of his sons.  I shared this in my personal e-mail to my father but it seems fitting to share here.  It is taken from the Book of Alma.  Your reading of this verse might be a little bit different than what I have in my Book of Mormon but it says, "Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto John Wilde, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men."
Love you, Dad!
Thank you all for your prayers and all that you do to support me in this great work of the Lord's.
Love,
Elder Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment