This week was truly amazing! We were
blessed with having a very informative Zone Conference where we learned
that the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles have made some
changes to missionary work. As of immediately, we have been asked to
teach "Lesson 5: Laws and Ordinances" before and after an investigator is
baptized. This is a change from before because previously Lesson 5 would
only be taught after baptism. Furthermore, instead of the Ward Mission
Leader being in charge of coordinating recent convert lessons, the full-time
missionaries are now to take the lead on that. We are asked to keep in
direct contact with our converts, teaching them for three to four
months, and then contact them for a year after and hopefully so on after that.
We have, also, been asked to review the Lord's expectations for baptism as
found in Doctrine & Covenants 20. Those were the ones I found to be the biggest
changes, and I know that as we follow them, we will further see the hand
of the Lord in the great and marvelous work.
On Thursday, after our all-day Zone Conference, we
went and taught Andy. Andy has been investigating for a while now. It
may help to put a name to the miracle I mentioned in a previous letter.
Andy, out of nowhere after telling us he couldn't follow the Word of
Wisdom, said that he stopped doing everything and that he has already
felt the blessings associated with keeping that commandment.
Furthermore, he told us that at some point he wanted to be baptized
along with his wife so that they could be sealed in the temple for time
and all eternity. Well, on Thursday, we showed the hour-long
restoration movie (apparently every time my companion has watched it with
an investigator they have set a baptismal date and the people have been
baptized). I said I had to see this for myself.
We watched the
restoration movie with a member and Andy. After watching, we bore our
testimonies and Elder Lee invited him to be baptized. He took the
question in and after a minute said, "No." We were both very determined and
knew that he was ready. We started to address his concerns and after a
couple minutes of talking, I felt the impression to invite Andy again. I
felt that if I was going to invite him that it would have to be direct
and powerful. I sat up in the chair and said," Andy, being a personal
representative of Jesus Christ and by the very priesthood power I hold, I
invite you to be baptized on the 19th of July. I promise you that as
you prepare yourself for that date, you will know that you are to be
baptized. Will you be baptized?" He looked at me without hesitation and
a smile on his face said, "Yes, What do I need to do?" We further
explained to him that he needed to actively participate in CPR (Church,
Praying, and Reading).
Church
Praying
Reading
He committed to doing everything and has been
telling us of the success he has been having thus far. The old saying
comes to my mind, "If at first you don't succeed, try try again." To
whomever is reading, I suggest that we never give up, we never surrender,
and we never let go of what we want most. Do not sacrifice what you
want in the future for what you want now. Great blessings await those
who diligently and humbly seek the will of God in their lives.
I feel that this is all that needs to be shared today. Be bold, be courageous, but first and foremost love.
Love you all!
Elder Wilde



No comments:
Post a Comment