"All that I am
and all that I have is because he is a father to me."
In my letter today, I
am going to give tribute to two of the most important figures in my life (besides
my dear mother of course). In regards to the work going forth here in Sydney, I
can promise you that amazing things are happening. Elder Lee and I set a
baptismal date with an individual on Saturday, thus highlighting our week.
However today, as I previously mentioned, I want to talk about two figures who
have played a role in making me into the person I am today. Those figures, as
probably expected, are my Heavenly Father and my own father.
I start with my
Heavenly Father first and foremost because only a select four children have the
blessing to call John Wilde, "Dad". To those reading, whether you
have a father physically here on this earth or not, you can rest assure that you
have a Heavenly Father that cares about you more than you can comprehend. While
I have not met this Father of ours in this life, I can know that he is there for
me and you. He is one that will always be on our side cheering us on when
righteousness is manifest. He is someone that will always answer when we have
questions that are beyond our reasoning and one that will never lead us astray
when those answers are made known. He loves you and I so much that he has
prepared a way for all to get back to him. He tries us in what we do to perfect
us and to become more like him. On this Fathers Day, I thank him for all that he
has done to make me into the person I am. The Quorum of the 12 Apostles said
the following, "Of all of the titles of respect and honor and admiration
that are given to deity, he asked us to address him as Father." We all
have a Heavenly Father, and if we will but come to him, he will comfort us in
our times of weakness as well as in our times of strength.
Now, we could all
say, "That's what my Dad does." It is true that the roles between our
Heavenly Father and Earthly Father are intertwined. For the past month, I have been
trying to understand the similarities and differences between the two
personages I call "Father." I have found a Mormon Message that best exemplifies
my own father in relationship to my Heavenly Father. I assure you that I have
watched this video alone more than 100 times and have shed a tear every time I
have watched it because this is my father in the video. As a family, I would
encourage you to all gather together and watch the following video:
In addition to being
everything in the video above, he is also so much more. For those of you who
know my father there is so much that I could say. He is truly one of a kind and
the perfect example of someone that I want to grow up to be. So, as I think
about my dad this Fathers' Day, what do I think of? I think of my dad coming to
my graduation, on two crutches, and personally giving me my diploma.
I look
back on the times where he always pushed me to be so much more than I was. I
look back and understand that it wasn't about him being upset with me, but
knowing that I had the potential to be so much more. Furthermore, I look back on
the numerous ways in which he served the Lord with his heart, might, mind, and
strength. We may all look at our fathers in different ways, but let me share words
that describe my father. He is, in a few words: dad, provider, perfect example,
hard worker, loving and faithful husband. Yet, to sum everything up in just two
words: My dad is my best friend. I love you so much, Dad!! Happy Fathers'
Day!!!
Love,
Elder Wilde
No comments:
Post a Comment