Monday, June 2, 2014

Nineteenth Week - June 1, 2014

Hey, everyone! 

Hope everyone had a busy and productive week!  I know that my companion, Elder Lee, and I had a great week filled with spiritual lessons and miracles!  I hope that you had similar experiences as me!! 


It's hard to figure out where to start for this week.  I guess the best thought to share would be the lesson we had with our new investigator, Jason Lee.  Jason is from Korea and has just moved here to attend school and work towards a masters in Accounting.  On a side note, I cannot believe how many accounting students are here!  Anyway, back to the story! We were able to teach him at a Korean member's home this week.  As we were teaching him, we would check his understand and ensure that the new gospel vocabulary was registering with him.  At that point the Korean member would translate to make sure he understood and to answer any questions.  As I sat there and listened, it was clear that Jason understood everything so much clearer in his own language.  
I would like to tie this into a gospel principle that I have to come to understand more and more since being here and it is that, the Holy Ghost speaks to us in a language we can understand.  While it may appear that I have just completely veered off course, please bear with me!  Yes, Jason understood Elder Lee and I as we taught the restoration; however, he understood it so much more when it was explained to him in a language he understood.  To whom may be reading this, I testify that the Holy Ghost talks to us in a way which we individually understand, just like how Jason understood so much more when he was taught in Korean.  As someone who is called for Mandarin speaking but teaches Chinese in English, I always find it interesting how they prefer to be taught in English but ultimately look blank faced when we teach them about the gospel.  In cases such as that, we often translate the message or sentence to them which is shortly followed by a "Ahhhhhhhh" as to communicate that they now understand.  I am convinced that the Holy Ghost speaks to Elder Lee in Chinese.  He understands so much more when speaking his own native language.  I have to admit that when I have thoughts or inspirations communicated to me, they are English.  I know the Holy Ghost speaks to each of you in ways which you understand; however, the problem may be that we are not listening close enough.  I promise that as you are worthy and listen with all your energy, you will see that the Holy Ghost speaks to you in a way which you understand! 


This week was also special as it was Elder Lee's and I first time teaching Jehovah's Witnesses.  Elder Lee and I studied hard to prepare for this lesson.  We knew that there were varying beliefs and that we may not see eye to eye on some doctrine.  We sought the direction of our mission president and his companion, and we understood the advice to be that "truth is truth."  As we prepared that day, we prayed and asked Heavenly Father to keep our emotions in check and to help us understand what we should say.  Overall, the lesson went well and the three people that came were all very nice and genuine people.  It was a great experience, but I learned one thing as we walked away from the lesson.  Having and bearing a testimony is one of the greatest tools we have.  Throughout the whole lesson, my companion and I testified of the truths we knew which turned out to be the best teaching points.  Of the three of them, there wasn't a testimony shared.  I am not trying to say that we are better than them because we bore our testimonies.  I am trying to say that we should never underestimate the power of a testimony, no matter the size.  People can discuss beliefs and doctrine, but they cannot disprove something you know to be true.  As you share your testimony, people will feel the power and conviction that you have for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I invite you all to find ways in which you can share your testimony.  As you do so, those you talk with will feel the power and know the truth of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  We have another lesson with the three of them.  I look forward to sharing my newest of experiences next week. 

I love you all so much!  Thank you for your prayers and your support!  It truly means a lot! I hope you all have an amazing week!!! 

Love

Elder Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment