Hey, everyone!
I would like to take
a quick moment to preface this letter by saying that I love my mission and that
it has been a truly amazing experience and there have been so many memorable
moments. This week encapsulates one of the hardest and arguably lowest weeks of
my mission for various reasons.
Missions are no walk
in the park, and I have come to see that with the variety of "ups" in
a mission, there are many "downs" as well. This week, as the four
Elders came out of district meeting, we were all feeling great. We have been
having problems lately communicating as a group of eight missionaries in one
ward, and on Wednesday we finally resolved it. As we walked out and got in the
car, we realized that there was something flapping on the car. Elder Poole, the driver,
got out of the car and looked at the paper and just dropped his head. He got
back in the car and told us that we had just gotten a parking ticket for 242
AUD. (About $225 American!) OUCH! We all sat there in disbelief and just couldn't believe it.
Let me just say that we were not happy and it was a very quiet ride to
our next appointment.
This week we were
scheduled to have a baptism for an investigator named Feng. He was scheduled to
be baptized on Sunday following church. We had confirmed everything throughout
the day with him on Saturday, and he had replied to everything with excitement.
As Elder Lee and I were preparing for bed, Elder Lee brought me the phone
ringing. He said it was Feng and asked me to take it. I answered the phone and Feng
told me that he would be unable to be baptized the following day. He said that
he felt so alone and did not feel like himself and that he did not want to go
to church the next day feeling like that. I talked to him for 45 minutes trying
to help him understand what he was feeling and why he felt this way. He still
would not change and as a result was not baptized on Sunday.
In addition to both
those experiences, it rained the entire week. Several people at church mentioned
that throughout the course of the week, we received as much rain in one week as
we usually do in an entire month. Put simply, when it's raining, no one wants to
listen to two young men keeping them out in the rain.
Whenever we are doing
our best, whenever we are at the highest point we are dragged down by the
adversary. He rejoices in our misery. He insists that we feel as he does; alone
and unloved. As I went through this week, I had a whirlwind of emotions. However,
as we were sitting in ward council yesterday, the Elders Quorum President shared
a message with us as we told him about the awful week we had just had. He
mentioned the movie, "Saving Mr. Banks". He talked about how the first
time the author of Marry Poppins was going to the Disney Studios, her driver
was saying how perfect California was because it never rained. She then jumped
in and said that it was horrible if it didn't rain because everything needed
water to grow and without water there was nothing that could grown. The driver
then said that there also needed to be sunshine for things to grow as well.
The Elders Quorum President likened that to us as we had just gone through a
very figuratively and literal rainy week. However, when things are the worst,
that means that miracles are about to occur. I am excited for this week, I know
amazing things will happen. I know that without a doubt in my mind. I look forward
to following up with you in a weeks time to report the many miracles that Elder
Lee and I experienced.
(Click on the above link to see a short video from Elder Holland about overcoming discouragement and the blessings to follow.)
Please don't take this
letter to mean that I dislike my mission in any way. There is no perfect
mission, and I know that this was a learning experience. I am just happy that is
over, for the moment.
I love you
all!!
Have a great week!
Love, Elder Wilde

No comments:
Post a Comment