Monday, September 1, 2014

Thirty-second Week - August 31, 2014


Hey, everyone! 

Many of you know that Elder Lee and I had a rather tough week last week, but I am happy to say that after that dark storm came the brightest rainbow!  This week was truly amazing, and I am happy to share with you some of my experiences!! 

On Monday, as a district, we got together at the Greenwhich Chapel where we played games and had a fire in the fire pit!  It was so much fun! We spent a couple hours at the chapel roasting sausages, Starburst (try it if you can), and marshmallows! 

 In addition to that, we played several fun games!  One of the games is called "Bang" and it is so much fun!  I wish I had time to explain it all, but if you don't have this game then you should seriously consider buying it!  After we played that, we played Settlers of Catan!  It's been a little while since I have played that game, but guess who won...THIS ELDER (watch out, Dad!  It was a great way to start our week and just a good way to relax!! 


On Tuesday, we had a lesson with Jason and a member from our ward.  In this lesson we taught Jason "The Gospel of Jesus Christ."   He said he really liked the lesson and all the doctrine that it entailed.  We invited Jason to be baptized, and he told us that he wanted to wait for his wife to be taught so they could be baptized together.  The member who was with us started speaking to Jason in Korean and Elder Lee and I turned to each other and said at the exact same time that we needed to teach him about priesthood and that he could baptize his wife when she was ready.  We knew that the Spirit had spoken to both of us and that this is what Jason needed to know.  As the member concluded his remarks, I told Jason that we understood that he wanted to wait until his wife was ready, but we told him that if he was baptized first he could then baptize his wife.  The member said that he felt prompted to talk to Jason having the ability to baptize his wife and that Jason wanted to do that!  We then invited Jason to be baptized on the 14th of September to which he accepted with a smile on his face.  I found it amazing that the Spirit spoke the exact same thing to all three of us and that we all knew what Jason needed.  This has taught me and reaffirmed that God knows his children and that revelation does not come to one but to all who are worthy of it. 

This week, we also had Stake Conference where we were visited by Elder Coward of the Area 70.  In this conference, we sustained all of the men who would be receiving the Melchizedek Priesthood.  Of the group of men that were announced were two of Elder Lee and my recent converts (Jamie & Damon).  As I sat on the pulpit and watched them walk up to the front, after their names were called, I was overcome with joy.  Both of them have unique stories, but as they walked up, all I could think about was that they were doing what their Heavenly Father has asked them.  I was so excited and happy to see them following in the footsteps of the Savior.  Moments like those are some of the most rewarding experiences.  I know that this is not my work and that it is the Lord's, and I do give all the thanks to my Father in Heaven.  I am so excited for the two of them to progress and to continue on the straight and narrow path.  

It was a great week and while there were so many good things that happened, I have been truly humbled by the Lord.  There is such a difference between the two weeks, and I have come to know of more of a surety that this is the Lord's work and that our Heavenly Father is mindful of his children no matter the circumstance.  I hope we can always remember and see the Lord's hand in our lives.  President Uchtdorf said the following, "Often the deep valleys of our present will be understood only by looking back on them from the mountains of our future experience.  Often we can't see the Lord's hand in our lives until long after trials have passed.  Often the most difficult times of our lives are essential building blocks that form the foundation of our character and pave the way to future opportunity, understanding, and happiness." 
  I invite everyone to ponder this week, from their mountains of experience, the times or moments in life when you were in valleys of your own.  Think of how the Lord guided you back up from the depths.  I promise that as you and I come to do so, we can truly gain a greater gratitude for the Savior and recognize more fully his hand in our lives.  

This week is the last week of the transfer and as such we will find out if either Elder Lee or I will be moving this week.  I hope we can stay together at least one more!  I love this Elder, he is continually an example to me!  Look to my letter next week! 

Love,
Elder Wilde 

No comments:

Post a Comment