Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Fifty-fifth Week - February 9, 2015


Hey, everyone!! 

It has been an exciting week here in the Ryde 2 area!  I am happy to write to you today and share some of the experiences that the Lord has blessed me with! 

First of all, the reason why I am writing on Tuesday instead of Monday is that yesterday was transfers.  This last transfer was special in that it was only four weeks long.  After only serving with Elder Hsu for four weeks, he was moved to serve the Lord in another part of His vineyard.  Elder Hsu will be continuing his missionary efforts in the city.  My new companion is Elder Hung from Hong Kong!  Elder Hung has been out around a year and his last companion was my first companion, Elder Watson!  It's great to have the opportunity to serve with Elder Hung, and we have already seen so many miracles together!  I am excited to see what the Lord has in store for us! 

Many of you know that I recently hit my year mark as a missionary.  My family surprised me and sent me a stuffed bear with my name on it. 
I am grateful for the opportunity I have had to serve as a missionary for this period of time and thank all of you for the many prayers that have been said in my behalf.  During this short but special year, I have learned so much and words cannot express my gratitude for my Heavenly Father as he has blessed us so abundantly. 

Also, this week because it was the end of the transfer, we had to do a deep clean of our flat. Elder Lee was particularly proud of how well he cleaned the toilet, and I guess the picture of him wearing the seat capitulates all of that and even more into one shot.
 
Regardless of how clean it is, I don't think I would ever have the courage to wear it, but it just shows how diligent he is in his cleaning efforts.  

In addition, Elder Lee left this week to go home.  At the end of a missionary's time in the Ryde flat, we all sign the Chinese flag with our names and the dates we served from.  There have been a few missionaries before us that have started this tradition, and we hope it to be one that continues!! 
 
 

Lastly is a picture of the Ryde district before it was split up yesterday. It was such a great opportunity to serve with Elder Lee, Elder Hsu, and Sister Durtschi!! 
 
This weekend, we were so very blessed to have two baptisms in Ryde Ward!  One of the baptisms came from the Sisters and one came from Elder Hsu and I.  We were able to baptize Lawrence into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I had the opportunity to baptize him on Saturday and stand in the circle as he was confirmed on Sunday. 
 
Lawrence has a particular story that taught me a gospel truth in a very real way.  Before my arrival in Ryde, Lawrence was preparing to be baptized but because he is 17, he needed his parents' permission.  Lawrence is currently studying at MacQuarie University and his parents are living back in China.  Lawrence indicated that he was unwilling to have his parents make this decision for him and that if needed, he would wait until December 2015 to turn 18 and then be baptized.  For one reason or another, the previous Elders thought it would be good to drop Lawrence and pick him back up when his birthday got closer. 

When I arrived to the Ryde area, I was going through former records and asked Elder Hsu about Lawrence.  After Elder Hsu told me, I thought to myself that this was a special case and that I should ask President Howes.  I pondered it for a couple days and prayed about it. I felt like I really should ask even though I knew he was a minor and that I probably already knew the answer.  Well, eventually I crossed paths with President Howes and the thought popped into my head to ask about Lawrence.  I asked President Howes, and President Howes said that it would be okay to baptize him.  Under such special circumstances, we were allowed to go through with Lawrence's baptism.  Well after that, we met with Lawrence and talked to him.  He accepted to be baptized on Saturday and was later interviewed and then baptized.  

The point that drove home to me is that the Lord knew I, Elder Wilde, would ask President Howes.  The Lord has placed us in specific areas to help specific people to come unto Christ.  While I had believed this principle and placed faith in it, it wasn't until my experience with Lawrence that this was cemented into me.  I know that Heavenly Father will not always tell us everything, he will just tell us what we need to know.  I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who trusts each of us to do what he has set us in place to do.  I know that each of us can have these same experiences, and I know that each of us are being prepared for these same experiences.  May we strive for the courage of Nephi and the faith of the Brother of Jared is my hope for each of us. 

Thank you for the continual support that each of you have for me.  Your weekly letters to me truly do make a difference, and I love hearing from each of you so much!!  Without your support and prayers, I know that things would be much different.  I look forward to catching up with you in a week's time. 

Love,

Elder Wilde 

No comments:

Post a Comment