Hello, hello, from Ryde Ward!
After the first week in
the Ryde area, I am happy to share a few experiences that may be funny and
others that may be uplifting!
I guess there is no
better place to start than the furry creature that has broken into our flat
this week. This week at around 12:30 pm, we were awakened to plates being moved
around in the kitchen. Elder Lee's first impression was that it was ISIS breaking
into our flat, but that was debunked pretty quickly. We got up and went outside
to see what was going on. It was dark so we couldn't see much and in turn
decided to get a camera and take a picture. Elder Hsu took the picture, and it
turned out to be a possum in our kitchen! We had left the window open to get
air going through the flat and thought that the screen protecting us from the
outside world be enough, but how sadly mistaken were we. The possum had clawed
through our screen door and had come in and began to go through our stuff to find something yummy to snack on! After taking the pictures, he realized he had
been discovered and ran out. As a flat, we decided that we are going to lay a
trap for him and then when he comes back, we are going to shoot him with our
nerf guns so that he never comes back. Seems like it should work, but I will
follow up next week and let you know how it goes!

This
week we were filling up the car at the gas station and I was teaching Elder Hsu
how to pump gas and fill out the K-log when another car pulled up right along
side of us. With four people in the opposing car, all of which were drinking except
for the driver, I continued to teach Elder Hsu and tried to not pay any
attention to them. The car next to us pumped their gas and then the driver
proceeded to go inside to pay. As it took us a little longer, we followed this
woman into the gas station to pay and then to be on our merry way. Elder Hsu
and I stood behind this university student covered in tattoos as she paid for
the gas that she had pumped. As I stood there, I could not help but think about
the differences in our appearance and the way that we conducted ourselves. I
thought about being in the world but not of the world. Furthermore, as I stood
waiting for our turn to pay I could see that the cashier wanted this
transaction to be over as soon as possible. Moments later, the woman walked out
screaming and dancing to her car and then drove away. It was interesting to see
the complete difference in personality that the cashier had. Instead of trying
to scoot us out as soon as possible, he talked to us, had a smile on his face,
and asked us how we were doing. As we concluded our payment and finished
writing on the report, I continued to think about how our appearance and
behavior makes all the difference. My favorite WHB rule is, "In all ways
be wise and mature in your conduct." I really do believe that if we follow
this rule that all other rules follow under it. I learned in that moment that
there is such a noticeable difference between us as missionaries and others
around us. I am grateful for my Heavenly Father helping me understand this
principle in greater depth and in doing it in that way.
I am so very grateful for
the support that each of you have given me through your prayers. I am excited
to write next week and tell you about the many miracles that Elder Hsu and I
are seeing as we serve the Lord. I know that these blessings can be yours as
well!
Love,
Elder Wilde
No comments:
Post a Comment