Hello,
everyone!!
Well, I guess I should
start with the gossip! After serving in the Greenwich Ward, and my first area
in Sydney for 9 months, I have finally been transferred. The funny thing is
that I am only ten minutes away from my old flat! I am now serving in Ryde Ward
which engulfs Greenwich Ward along with three whole stakes. Ryde Ward is the
only Chinese speaking ward across Sydney which spans both missions. I have to
admit that I was pretty surprised when I found out that I would be serving in
almost the same area; however, I was excited to hear that I will be in the
Chinese speaking Ward, and that I will be to travel to a wide variety of places
around Sydney to teach the Chinese people. My new companion is Elder Hsu who is
from Taiwan. In addition to that, I am also living with my first companion,
Elder Lee! It seems like the mission is too small. All in all, I am grateful
for the time I spent in Greenwich Ward and the people and experiences that I
had while there. I know that I will remember them throughout the rest of my
life.
While it was a roller-coaster weekend of emotions, it was nice as we were able to have a baptism
with someone I had been working with for my whole tenure in Greenwich.
Admittedly, she changed her name half way though me being there. Her first name
was Shirley, but she later changed it to Sylvia. For the longest time, Sylvia had
been held up from being baptized because her parents would not allow her.
Finally she decided and received an answer that it was more important for her
to do what Heavenly Father asked. It is from this experience that I have
learned one of my most precious lessons on my mission. As I sat in the pew
during her baptism, I thought back to the many lessons and times she had been to
church. I came to the understanding, through the inspiration of the Holy Ghost,
that the actual baptism isn't the miracle. Often we get so caught up in saying
that the ordinances are the miracles, that everything before it is nothing in
comparison to that particular moment in time. I would suggest that the miracle
is every step towards the water and every step after the water. The baptism or
the sealing in the temple are results of miracles. In addition, and by the same
token, if someone is not baptized we count everything as nothing, but how
terribly wrong we are. Regardless of what a person chooses, the change is
a miracle. Change to the slightest degree is a miracle. As people change their
lives, it is evidence that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of change. It
is my invitation that we look at miracles as they really are, and may we see the
Lord's hand in our lives.
Last Monday we also
had quite the interesting P-Day. As many of you know, I am able to drive here in
Sydney. Before we go any further, no Mom, I did not get in a wreck. Continuing
on with the story, we are blessed to have a very old GPS that has not been
updated with roads and whose graphics are not the best. We decided, as a District, that we would go to a park that is right under the Harbour Bridge to
have a picnic. With us having the car, we decided that we would drive down and
find parking. While on our way down, the roads tend to twist and turn into one
another, and it is almost impossible to differentiate between the roads as the
guiding lines on the GPS are so fat that it covers up three lanes at once. Well,
one wrong turn led to another wrong turn and the GPS couldn't correct in time,
so before you know it, I was driving out of my area on the Sydney Harbour
Bridge and into the city. Needless to say, we had to call the Mission President
and let him know what happened. We eventually made it back to our area after
our GPS gave us the scenic route of the city. All in all, we were able to get to
the park after a $3 detour over the Harbour Bridge and enjoy laughs as we sat
around one with another!!
Well, my time is far
spent. I am grateful for each and every prayer that is said in my behalf. I
know that I could not do this without you, and I thank you for everything that
each one of you have done for me!
Love,
Elder Wilde
No comments:
Post a Comment