Hello everyone!
I hope everyone had a
great Thanksgiving! I have heard many stories and read about an abundance of
memories shared. Thank you for sharing all of those with me!
Well, another transfer
has come and gone and to my astonishment, I am staying in Greenwich for my 6th
transfer. By the end of this transfer, I will have been here a total of 9
months. It has been amazing to serve here in this ward. Last night we were with
a member family having dinner, and one person asked me if I remembered what
the Ward Christmas party was like last year. I told her I hadn't been here that
long, and she told me that she felt like I had been in the Ward for years. We
all laughed, but it really does feel like I have been here for a long time! It's
awesome though!! In addition to that, I will remain serving with Elder Vaughn! It's been such a blessing to serve with him! I am excited that we get to stay
together at least one more transfer in this part of the Lord's
vineyard!!!
I am excited to share a
few of the great things that happened this week in the mission!
Towards the end of last
week, we were finding on the road and I contacted a student who
attended the nearby university. I talked with her for a while about several
things including the Savior, our Heavenly Father, and the role of prayer in our
lives. I invited her to continue to meet with us and to learn more. She agreed
and we were able to meet with her last week for the first time. As we were
getting to know her and her expectations for us, we came to find out that she
believes in God and His influence in her life. She knows that God has led her
and leads people to her. Furthermore, I asked her, "Do you think God led us
to you?". She replied and said, "Yes, but I don't know why yet." We continued to talk with her and had an amazing lesson! Following that, we
invited her to church to which she came!
After church she came up and said that she knew why God had led her to us and us to her. She loved church and wants to come back next week. We invited her to be baptized to which she said yes! Sarah is just one of many many examples to show that the Lord is preparing his children for the gospel. I know that as we ask the Lord to make these people known unto us that we will be able to recognize them! I invite all to pray and ask the Lord for his love-inspired support in this great work!
After church she came up and said that she knew why God had led her to us and us to her. She loved church and wants to come back next week. We invited her to be baptized to which she said yes! Sarah is just one of many many examples to show that the Lord is preparing his children for the gospel. I know that as we ask the Lord to make these people known unto us that we will be able to recognize them! I invite all to pray and ask the Lord for his love-inspired support in this great work!
On Thursday
(Thanksgiving) of last week, we were blessed to have a Chinese Conference
where all the missionaries throughout the mission would come together for a
special conference. This was the first conference of its kind as it lasted all
day. It was great to see all the Chinese speaking missionaries from throughout
the mission, some of which I had never met before.
In this conference, where we all spoke the language all day, we had a panel of Chinese Recent Converts come, and we asked them questions about their experience of becoming converted to the
gospel. In addition, we had several role plays where we were able to teach in
Chinese. At the end of the meeting, we took a group picture, and I was able to
snap a picture with three of my companions on my mission, so far (Elder Watson,
Elder Lee, and Elder Vaughn).
Overall the conference was a great success, and it
was great to be speak and get new insights.
(Elder Vaughn, Elder Lee, Elder Wilde, and Elder Watson)
Last week, we had
arranged to go on splits with our Elders Quorum President and one of his counselors. As Elder Vaughn and I were getting dinner prepared, we received a
call from the EQ President telling us that Brother Wild had gotten into a car
crash and that he was in the hospital right now. The EQ President asked if we
would go with him, before splits started, and give Brother Wild a blessing. After
arriving at the hospital we found the 87 year old man lying in the ICU unit
with several broken ribs along with other injuries. After talking with him for
a while, he asked if we would give him a Priesthood Blessing. I prepared to get
the consecrated oil out as I guessed that either Elder Vaughn or I would anoint
and that the EQ President would give the blessing. To my surprise, Brother Wild
asked that the EQ President anoint and that I give the blessing. I have given
very few blessings to people in my life and to an elderly man whose health and
life was at risk no less. After the first part of the blessing was taken care
of, I let go of Brother Wild's hand and prepared to give him a blessing. In
those moments, words came to mind, other thoughts and feelings came to me and
with those being ushered in, feelings of weakness and fear left all together. Although short, I knew that the blessing was from Heavenly Father.
After the blessing, we
talked with Brother Wild a little longer and proceeded to go out on splits. The
EQ President and I left to go visit Brother Wild's wife who had only gotten out
of the hospital a week earlier for health issues of her own, which she had been
battling for quite sometime. We went and talked to her for a while, and she too
asked for a blessing. Again I assumed that I would anoint to which the elderly
woman asked I give the blessing. In those moments, I felt nervous as I was to
give another blessing to which I was unqualified for. Those same feelings that
had previously occupied my heart and mind before giving Brother Wild a blessing
came back again. However, after beginning the blessing it seemed as if the
words came and that I knew what to say and what she needed to hear. After
concluding the blessing, we shared a few closing words with one another and left
her home.
On another occasion, we
had been asked to go and visit, by our bishop, an elderly woman at a nursing
home. When we arrived, her daughter greeted us and we proceeded to the elderly
woman's room. As we entered the room, we continued to talk with the daughter,
who had been less active in the church for quite a number of years and who had
requested the blessing. The 91 year old woman lying in the bed had developed
pneumonia and the doctors as well as family members feared that she may soon pass
away.
Walking into the room, I knew that there was a chance I might give the blessing. I doubted I would and pushed those thoughts away. When the daughter asked for the two part blessing, she asked that of the three of us (Elder Lee, Elder Vaughn, and myself), Elder Lee anoint and that I bless her. I remember very little from that brief five minute period. The things I do remember are that I looked at the picture of the Savior on the wall and said a silent prayer asking to know what to say to this woman I had never before met and whom was on the verge of passing through the veil. I remember pronouncing the blessing and felt prompted to tell her not to fear about what lies ahead as she is safe in the loving care of the Savior. After closing the blessing, I stood there and her eyes met mine and then a slight smile came about before I stepped away.
Walking into the room, I knew that there was a chance I might give the blessing. I doubted I would and pushed those thoughts away. When the daughter asked for the two part blessing, she asked that of the three of us (Elder Lee, Elder Vaughn, and myself), Elder Lee anoint and that I bless her. I remember very little from that brief five minute period. The things I do remember are that I looked at the picture of the Savior on the wall and said a silent prayer asking to know what to say to this woman I had never before met and whom was on the verge of passing through the veil. I remember pronouncing the blessing and felt prompted to tell her not to fear about what lies ahead as she is safe in the loving care of the Savior. After closing the blessing, I stood there and her eyes met mine and then a slight smile came about before I stepped away.
These three experiences
are very precious to me and have caused me to ponder a great deal upon the
gospel and the power in the priesthood. In my emails today, I learned of two of
my cousins who just received the Aaronic Priesthood. How grateful I am for
their example and their worthiness in receiving the Priesthood. I remember,
what seems like not long ago, receiving that same Priesthood and the
responsibilities that are associated with it. I heard that they were able to
bear their testimonies of the church and their beliefs, and I would like them to
know of my testimony. I know that the Priesthood was restored to the Earth
through the Prophet Joseph Smith.
(The Aaronic Priesthood restored to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery by John the Baptist, May 15, 1829)
I know that as all worthy males live worthy
of the Priesthood, they are entitled to great blessings which help all of us
return to our Heavenly Father. I know that this power is real. I know that
while we might not know all things, we can rest assure that our Heavenly Father
and his Son Jesus Christ will lead us in times of inadequacies. Thank you,
Ethan and Garrett for being such great examples to me, your family, and all
others around you.
I know I have written
a lot, but I hope that something touches your heart from this letter.
Love,

No comments:
Post a Comment