Monday, November 24, 2014

Forty-fourth Week - November 23, 2014

Hello, everyone! 

I am excited to share about some experiences that I have had here in Sydney! 

This week while we were on the streets outside of MacQuarie University trying to find new investigators to teach.  While we were walking, I noticed a boyfriend and girlfriend sitting down and having a rather serious conversation.  It seemed like they weren't having the greatest of a time, so on my first pass by I said "Hi" in Chinese to which they stopped their conversation, looked up, smiled and laughed, then dove back into their conversation.  I didn't think much of it and continued walking up the street then turned around and came back.  As I was approaching them, they still looked like they were having an intense conversation, but I decided that I would just stop and talk to them.  I began a conversation with them and talked with them for a while.  They eventually asked what I was doing here in Sydney (the golden question) to which I started to talk to them about the church.  Over the next couple minutes, we exchanged comments and remarks in regards to who they believed God was and his role in their lives.  I invited them to learn more about God and his role in their lives to which they agreed and set an appointment with us! 

If we fast forward a couple days to the actual appointment, I asked them, "So why did you decide to meet with us?"  They both told us that they had met missionaries before and that other missionaries tried to force them or press them into having lessons but that they appreciated that I just talked with them.  Over the course of the lesson, it was amazing to see the different questions that they asked and to see how prepared they were to receive the gospel.  By the end of the lesson, they asked when we could meet up again to talk more about the gospel.  They told us that they couldn't believe it right away because that's not how it works, but that they wanted to learn and pray to Heavenly Father to see if it was true. I share this because I believe this is how it should be.  I had no clue what I was going to say to this boyfriend and girlfriend who were having a dispute, but I decided I would just talk to them.  Whether it was the question posed to me or another question, we can always find a way to connect the gospel.  I know that we can do this with everyone we come in contact with! 

Many of you know that I serve in the same ward as a family who used to be my Seminary teachers in Shanghai.  We were blessed to be invited into their home, along with a few other families, for a Thanksgiving dinner yesterday.  The Spencers were kind enough to have all eight missionaries from the ward over!  Of those eight missionaries, five of us are from the United States.  The three other missionaries are from Thailand, Taiwan, and China.  This was all their first Thanksgiving, so we were able to teach them and share the traditions of this holiday. 





I am so grateful for the many things that my Father in Heaven has blessed my life with.  As we approach this holiday and Christmas, I would invite all to reflect on the blessings that you have received and the love your Heavenly Father has for you.  Furthermore, I would invite all to reflect upon the life of the Savior and His role in each one of your lives. 

Thank you for your continued support and love.  I appreciate all that each of you do for me! 

Love,


Elder Wilde 

No comments:

Post a Comment