Monday, October 19, 2015

Ninety-first Week - October 20, 2015


Hello, hello, from Sunny Sydney! 

That's right, while it's getting cold back home, it is only getting warmer and warmer out here! With that being said, our flat is on the top floor and as you walk up the stairs to get to our flat, you can literally feel it getting warmer and warmer and warmer.  It doesn't help that our flat does not have any AC either.  I guess I can finally somewhat relate to Elder Copeland's lifestyle of living in regards to weather conditions. 

The assistants are making their rounds throughout the mission with all the Zone Leaders, and this week Elder Ezra and I were able to go on trade off with Elder Gibb and Elder King.  I was able to go with Elder Gibb and brought him back to the Baulkham Hills area.  It was pretty interesting as the assistants are apart of our Zone, so while Elder Gibb was asking me about the Zone, I was able to talk to him about his personal area and some of the things they are seeing since recently moving into a new ward.  All in all it was a great trade off! 

Yesterday we were able to confirm Hadi a member of the church, which was a great blessing.  We found out the other day, in a lesson with Hadi, that his friend in Brisbane has been meeting with the missionaries from our church.  It was not until Hadi told his friend that he had recently been baptized that his friend told him that he, too, was meeting with missionaries.  Hadi's friend in Brisbane is going to be baptized next week!  How cool is that!  

A quick thought that has been on my mind lately.  Throughout the Book of Mormon, there are various examples of both good and not so good individuals. We tend to gravitate toward the righteous who followed the commandments of God and were blessed in both things temporal and spiritual.  In turn, we tend to push away those individuals who rejected partially or completely and in turn rightfully teach others not to follow such examples.  After all, these particular paths lead to a distanced relationship with our Father in Heaven.  We consistently find fault in them that were doers of evil and find comfort in viewing ourselves as Nephi, Alma, or Moroni.  Yet, how often do we relate ourselves to Laman and Lemuel, King Noah, or Amalickiah? 

I think all would agree that there is a distinct difference in following someone and learning from someone.  After all, we learn much from Nephi, Alma, Moroni, and many other righteous examples but struggle from time to time to follow and be like them.  Yet when it comes to studying they of whom were lovers of darkness rather than light, we steer clear and judge their unrighteous actions.  However, speaking on a personal level, I think there is much to learn about myself from Laman and Lemuel, King Noah, and Amalickiah.  It behooves me to look at myself in a much more honest light by asking penetrating questions such as, "Lord, is it I?" or, "What lack I yet?"  I will be the first to admit that almost every time the answers that I have received sting and require adjustments.  However, how beautiful it is when we can say like Paul of old, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me" (Philippians 4:13).  While we may feel an initial sting, we can feel comforted as we approach the Master Physician who knows all remedies and who makes all progress possible. 


 
I have found great power in hearing my weaknesses from my companions and from the Lord and then having the opportunity to prayerfully analyze, set goals, and make plans, with the help of the Lord, to make them strengths.  I have come to develop a greater love for these individuals because each opportunity to become something more has helped me to have a greater love for Him whose love knows no bounds.  The Lord has given us many examples in the scriptures whom we can learn from and I pray that we will not pick and choose or limit who we can become. 
 
With much love,
 
Elder Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment