G'Day,
Everybody!!!!
I have made it to the
land down under! I am so excited to be here and continue the work of the Lord!
I was so sad to leave Boston and the amazing friendships I had made there. I
know that there will be great work to be done in both places and feel blessed
enough to have had the opportunity to work in two missions!
I have to say that
since I have arrived here in Sydney, I have not had the opportunity to rest! It
has been great! The first day I arrived and we quickly made our way over to the
harbour where we took a picture with the Opera House and bridge in the
background. After that, we made our way over to the mission offices where we
filled out some paperwork. Following that, we had orientation till about 6pm at
the mission home were I met my new trainer and companion Elder Lee! After a
very quick but tasty dinner, we had to hurry off as we had a lesson that night
with a recent convert. At this lesson, we helped him prepare a talk that he gave
on Saturday at the Baptism of Damon Zhu. As we were helping him prepare his
talk, we came to the realization that there was no one to give a talk on the
Holy Ghost. Elder Lee quickly turned to me and asked if I would give the talk.
I accepted the invitation from my new companion and eagerly awaited the next
day where I would be able to meet Damon for the first time. That night we went
home and as we concluded planning for the next day, my companion offered to give
the closing prayer. We both knelt and the following is a recount from Elder
Lee, "I said in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen, and heard nothing from you.
I stayed down for a minute thinking that you were saying another prayer and
finally looked up to see what was happening. You had fallen asleep!" Yes,
I was dead tired and barely made it through planning. My jet lag has gotten
better though, and I am on Australian time now!!
Not many missionaries
get to experience a baptism on their first week of entering into their mission.
I was lucky enough to be a part of Damon's baptism as a witness and speaker!
Furthermore, I was invited to be apart of Damon's confirmation the following day.
It was truly an amazing experience and one that I will not forget. While only
knowing Damon for a short period of time, I know that our Heavenly Father
prepared a way for him and I know without a doubt in my mind that there are
great things in store for him!!
Speaking of baptisms!!! My cousin Collin had the
opportunity to be baptized over the weekend! While I was saddened that I could
not attend his baptism, I had the joy of thinking about him and the amazing
steps he was talking during Damon's baptism and confirmation. I am so proud of
you Collin!!!
In additional news, I was able to extend a baptismal invitation
this week to a young man we are teaching from China. Tom accepted the baptismal
date and will be baptized on the 31st of May! If all goes well, we will finish
with three baptisms, in this companionship alone, by the end of May! Baptisms
two and three will take place on the 24th of May and 3st of May! Keep us in
your prayers as we prepare Tom and Alex for baptism!!
Australia is known
for a vast majority of things, one of which being is diverse wildlife. A couple
days ago, Elder Lee and I were preparing lunch after we completed our studies.
Our apartment is unusually cold and as such, I decided to see how much
different it was than outside. I came to find a few birds sitting among the
trees and ran back inside to get bread to see if I could get them to come over
to me. To my great surprise, they came over and sat on the metal railing and
started to eat the bread that Elder Lee and I had laid out.
(This is actually a kookaburra--native to Australia.)
We then tried to
see if we could feed them on our own. I was furthermore blown away that they
didn't fly away!
My companion and I fed the birds for a little while and I could
not but think about our two feathered friends in Paris namely, Floppy and
Doodle. They would come up to our home day in and day out wanting to be fed,
and every time we would answer to their call. I try not to make any spiritual
comparison here but just found it great to feed these birds and enjoy the
simple things in life.
I know that I have written a rather long letter for this week, but I would like to talk about my amazing mother to which I had the opportunity to talk with this morning. If there was any one thing in this letter that I would advise you to read it would be this. The reason being is that without my truly remarkable mother, and father, I would not be writing this letter today. As I have had the opportunity to contemplate what I wanted to write today about my mother I have but simple and profound words that express my sincere gratitude for the example she is in my life.
Mom, I love you so very much. Words on an electronic screen cannot justify the deep feelings of gratitude, respect, and love I have for you. I often hear you talk about how it was just you and I at the beginning. Dad was working hard to provide for a newly created family, and it was just you and I. While I may not remember it all, I see how you have treated my brothers growing up and know that, that same love and devotion was shared with me. I was reading Sunday morning Jesus The Christ and was reading about Mary as she prepared to bring the Savior into the World. Now I am not trying to say that I am similar to the Savior by any means, but I am drawing comparison to you and the woman that watched over the Savior while he was here on this earth. Second only to my own mother, Mary was extraordinary. As I was reading of the characteristics she portrayed, I could not help but think how they resembled you. Thank you so much mom for being the Mary in my life. You have shaped me into the person I am today. I owe everything I am to you. Parker, Tyson, and Preston, give mom a HUGE hug from me. I love you mom!!
I know that I have written a rather long letter for this week, but I would like to talk about my amazing mother to which I had the opportunity to talk with this morning. If there was any one thing in this letter that I would advise you to read it would be this. The reason being is that without my truly remarkable mother, and father, I would not be writing this letter today. As I have had the opportunity to contemplate what I wanted to write today about my mother I have but simple and profound words that express my sincere gratitude for the example she is in my life.
(Such a sweet picture of Elder Wilde and his mother before he left on his mission.)
Mom, I love you so very much. Words on an electronic screen cannot justify the deep feelings of gratitude, respect, and love I have for you. I often hear you talk about how it was just you and I at the beginning. Dad was working hard to provide for a newly created family, and it was just you and I. While I may not remember it all, I see how you have treated my brothers growing up and know that, that same love and devotion was shared with me. I was reading Sunday morning Jesus The Christ and was reading about Mary as she prepared to bring the Savior into the World. Now I am not trying to say that I am similar to the Savior by any means, but I am drawing comparison to you and the woman that watched over the Savior while he was here on this earth. Second only to my own mother, Mary was extraordinary. As I was reading of the characteristics she portrayed, I could not help but think how they resembled you. Thank you so much mom for being the Mary in my life. You have shaped me into the person I am today. I owe everything I am to you. Parker, Tyson, and Preston, give mom a HUGE hug from me. I love you mom!!
Thank you all for
taking the time to read my email this week. I know it was rather long and
lacked a spiritual sense. I promise to make it up next week! I love you
all!!
Elder Wilde

No comments:
Post a Comment