Monday, December 7, 2015

Ninety-eighth Week - December 7, 2015

Hello, hello! 

What another great week here in Baulkham Hills!  This week we kept busy, as I hope we all do, and had great opportunities to serve others both in temporal as well as spiritual capacities. 

On Tuesday, we had Zone Conference with the Harbour North and Harbour South Zones. Instead of having Baulkham Hills conference on a separate day, we ended up splitting our Zone and having them go to two different conferences.  It was great to be able to go back to Greenwich Chapel.  We originally thought the meeting was at Hyde Park Chapel and by the time we got to the city, we received a call from another set of Elders saying that the meeting was out at Greenwich.  After finding the Sisters who got lost in the city, we made our way out to the chapel.  It was a great conference and much was learned! 

On Wednesday, Elder T and I went to Roger's house and helped him cut down some trees. Roger is a recent convert who was baptized almost a year ago.  He recently hurt his arm and needed help getting rid of some branches that were out on his roof.  He supplied us with an electric saw and Elder T went to town on the trees.  The moment was too good to pass up and I had to snap a picture.  Elder T looked like a natural as he was cutting away. Needless to say, it looked heaps better by the time Elder T was done with it! 


Saturday we spent almost the whole day with the ward.  In the morning, we had a ward service project at a local school.  We pulled weeds, cut trees, and laid mulch for most of the morning.  There was a really good turnout from the ward's end of things, so that was great to see.  That evening, there was the Ward Christmas Party.  We were able to get two investigators and three returning less actives to the party where they were able to hang out with members.  It's been neat to see these individuals coming back and watching as the ward as a whole as well as individuals reach out to fellowship them back in.  There aren't many things sweeter than that! 

Throughout the week, Elder T and I were trying to get everything ready for the fireside last evening.  I think a few weeks ago, I put the poster up and invited you but didn't see anyone there.  Next time!  In the end, the fireside was a huge success!  It went really well and the speakers did a fantastic job!  The member of the Stake Presidency asked that I conduct, so that was a neat experience.  We had two preparing to serve missionaries, one recently returned missionary, and President Checketts speak.  President Checketts gave some great remarks in regards to Jesus Christ being the light in our lives.  The return missionary posed this question, "Do you remember a gift you got from Christmas in 2007?". He followed up the question by saying that we sometimes get so caught up in the hype of buying gifts that we miss out on the true gift of Christmas.  So often we want the latest and most trendy thing but soon after forget its very existence because there is something just a tad bit more new. 

I really hope that as we approach this Christmas season and prepare to celebrate the Savior's birth that we focus on its true and everlasting essence.  One of the greatest gifts on my mission has come as I have been able to teach others and watched as they and the Savior work hand in hand to rekindle their relationships.  Such moments have brought nothing to me in terms of worldly goods but have left me with everything I need.  I hope that "We, as did the Wise Men, seek a bright, particular star to guide us in our celebration of the Savior's birth."  (President Thomas S. Monson)  I invite each of us to focus on the true and everlasting light that shines brighter and more sure than the sun at noon day.  I promise you that as you do so individually, and as families, you will gain a deeper, more abiding love for the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the Father's infinite and eternal love for you.  Such moments will surpass all excitement, noise, and distractions that an otherwise worldly Christmas has to offer. 

Love,


Elder Wilde   

No comments:

Post a Comment