Monday, September 7, 2015

Eighty-fifth Week - September 7, 2015


Hello, Everyone!!! 

This week, Elder Orr and I were so very blessed to take three recent converts to the temple for the first time to perform baptisms and confirmations.  Each of them walked out with a new respect and love for the temple.  They talked about how it was such a special place for them and how they felt such a special spirit.  Additionally, as we stood outside the front of the temple, one of the converts asked what the people do when they walk in the front of the temple (since the baptistery in the Sydney Temple is in the back).  We talked about how those who go through the front take part in additional ordinances that help us get back to our Heavenly Father.  He said that he wanted to prepare for those just based off of the feelings he had doing baptisms and asked what he could do to prepare.  I know that as we help those around us have spiritual temple experiences, they will naturally want to prepare to take out additional covenants.  I do not think we can ever underestimate the effect the temple can have on the individual.  I invite those who are able to take all who can go to the temple and help them feel of our Heavenly Father's love there.  

 Additionally, a recent convert that was baptized about a month ago received her Patriarchal Blessing yesterday.  When we asked Summer about it, she said that her ability to describe what took place was beyond words and that she felt the spirit so strong.  She talked to us about how she knew the blessing was from God because the ordained Patriarch pronouncing the blessing talked about her as if he had known her her whole life.  She said it was a special weekend for her being able to go to the temple and receiving her blessing. For those who have not received their Patriarchal Blessings, I encourage you to seek out your bishop and ask him how you can prepare to have this in your life.  I promise you that it will be a compass and a beacon to you throughout your life as you live worthy of it. 

Well, this weekend was also a first for me.  I guess I will tell the story from the beginning, as that's how most stories are told.  Every first Sunday of the month, the Stake holds a Recent Convert Fireside for all those learning about the church and those who were recently baptized into the church.  The purpose of this is for the recent converts to share their conversion stories and how they came to know the church is true.  In addition, there is usually a member of the Stake Presidency who speaks after the recent converts have spoken.  On Tuesday, we had our Stake MCM with the Stake Presidency where we discuss the previous month's missionary efforts and how we can progress moving forward.  The YSA Ward hosts the Recent Convert Fireside and because we are the Zone Leaders, Elder Orr and I correlate these Firesides with the Stake Presidency. 

At the meeting on Tuesday, Elder Orr and I sat down with the Zone Leaders from the North Zone (Elder Watson and Elder Arnold), the Sister Training Leaders (Sister Valdes and Sister Lew), as well as the Stake President.  Before the meeting was opened, I told the Stake President that the member of the Stake Presidency that had previously been assigned had said that this Sunday was Fathers' Day and as such he would probably not be able to make it as he was going to be having dinner with his family.  The Stake President said, "That's a good point, we cannot have him go there."  I agreed and then asked the question, "So President, who would you like send in his place?"  He sat there and then turned to me and said, "I'm sending you, you're presiding. Thank you."  After that, he just continued on with the meeting.  Last night, we had our Recent Convert Fireside and sure enough, I presided and gave the concluding remarks.  It was the first time I had ever presided in my life and I have to say I was a bit nervous, but prior to my speaking, I recited Doctrine & Covenants 121:33-46 and felt the spirit with me.  It was a special experience for me and one I will never forget. 

Two weeks ago we had our Zone Meeting and I forgot to send a Zone picture.  Sorry about that!  I attached one. 
Love you all so much! 

Elder Wilde 

No comments:

Post a Comment