Monday, October 13, 2014

Thirty-eighth Week - October 13, 2014


 
Hello family and friends! 


I am so happy to report the things I have learned from General Conference in my letter as well as a huge miracle!



From General Conference, I was able to learn so much for myself but also for those I teach.  It has been amazing to see the Lord's chosen share inspired messages where I felt as if they were talking specifically to me and to those I care most about.  Some of the themes and quotes  that I took from this conference are as follows:


1. We must continue to strengthen our own testimonies and then hold onto them


- "Go to work so there is something God can help us with" - D. Todd Christofferson

- "In the end we are all pilgrims seeking Gods light on the path of discipleship" - Dieter F. Utchdorf 

- "You may question what you hear on the news but never question the testimony of God's prophets" - Neil L. Andersen 

- "You won't be of much help to others if your own belief is not securely in place" - Neil L. Andersen 

- Acknowledge and face your weaknesses, but don't be immobilized by them because they may be with you until you depart this life" - Jorg Kleibingat 

- " There is nothing more important than receiving and strengthening our testimonies - Craig G. Christensen

  
2. Follow the prophet(s) 


- " When the 1st Presidency and 12 apostles speak in unison, it is the voice of the Lord" - Russell M. Ballard 

- "Walking  where Jesus walked is less important than walking as Jesus walked" - Thomas S. Monson 

- "The living Lord leads his living church" - Russell M. Nelson




3. We are to care for the poor and less fortunate


-"What we do is not but a drop in the ocean, but if we didn't do it then the ocean would be one drop less" (Mother Theresa) - Jeffrey R. Holland 

- "Be generous in contributions and God will be generous to you" - Jeffrey R. Holland 


There is so much more I could go on about.  Finally, it boils down to what we do next.  In 3 Nephi 17:1-3 the Savior says the following: 

"Behold, now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words he looked 
round 
about again on the multitude, and he said unto them:  Behold, my time is at hand.  I perceive that ye are weak, that ye cannot understand all my words which I am commanded of the Father to speak unto you at this time.  Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again."

I invite all to go back and continue to read the message we have received in conference.  I know that there is so much I can learn and that we can learn. 


(Click on the link above to watch, listen, or read any or all of the talks given by the Prophet or Apostles at this conference.)


Finally, to close out my email I want finish with a miracle.  Elder Lee and I met Junning on the street one day while we were walking.  We invited him to church, and he said he would go but had to postpone going to church because he had to study for an exam.  We continued to message him and keep in contact.  He finished all of his exams on Friday.  He then told us that before he could go to church, he needed to get church clothes.  We helped him find clothes and took him to the Saturday morning session of General Conference.  He loved it!  He then stayed for the Saturday Afternoon session of General Conference.  After the afternoon session the ward had a pizza gathering before the priesthood session.  While we were eating he came up to Elder Lee and me and asked us how he might be able to join the church.  We told him and set a baptismal date with him on the spot. 

On Sunday he came to both sessions of conference and then asked if there were any other conferences that he could watch.  We directed him to lds.org and showed him where several other sessions of conference are located.  He then texted us on Sunday night quoting general conference in a response to a question that we told him we were searching for.  This morning, while we were emailing, he texted us and asked us how he could pray to which we texted him back.  The Lord has prepared his children and this has been another testimony to me that he knows his children individually and what they need. 



Well, I know this was long, and I apologize!  I hope we can all have a great week this week and come closer to our Savior! 



Love you! 



Elder Wilde 

No comments:

Post a Comment