Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Eleventh Week Letter - April 7, 2014

 Hi!

WOW!  What a fantastic weekend!  After 10 hours of conference and over 20 pages of notes, it is safe to say that I am still in awe.  It was an amazing conference, and I loved everything that was shared!  This conference was different in more than one way and has changed my perspective of what conference can really do for each and everyone of us.  The first thing that was noticeably different was that it was my first one away from family of any kind.  Secondly, and what I perceive as more important, is that while watching conference I received impressions for my investigators.  Before I go on, let me set the stage so this makes sense.  I went into conference hoping that I would hear things that could help my investigators understand the gospel more fully and answer some of their questions.  I prayed before conference asking that I could know what to share with my companionships investigators and how conference could best help them.  Like I previously said, my prayers were answered. 


To read or listen to conference talks, press on the following link. 





As I was sitting in conference, I would think of investigators and turn to my companions and ask them who they thought this talk was for.   Every single time, we had thought of the same person and why it could help to further them.  It was amazing!  I am ashamed to admit this but I had never had this happen to me before.  While this may seem insignificant to some, it illustrates two truths that were discussed in General Conference.  The first truth being that, God answers our prayers.  Secondly, we are all entitled to revelation.  How amazing is that!  It was so amazing to be able to see how talks resolved concerns for those we cared about.  Conference is truly a unique time.  I know personally that I will not remember the number of pages of notes I took, or the number of hours I sat in the same chair.  No, I will always remember this experience proving to me that we can receive answers and revelation through conference and it can happen to every single one of us no matter the circumstance as long as we just ask the question.


What I would also like to share in my letter concerns:  Three Chinese missionaries, one mission president, and an amazing apostle who I have the utmost respect for.  Many of us know the process by which we are called on a mission.  You submit paperwork with a picture and a committee of authorities pray to know where to send you.  After that, you receive a call and you prepare to serve the Lord.  So what happens when you are reassigned like me?  I had never realized this but the same committee of authorities pray to seek inspiration as to where to send you for a temporary assignment.  Obviously you all know that I am currently serving in the Massachusetts Boston Mission waiting for my visa to go to Sydney Australia.  This week we were informed by President Packard that later this month Elder Holland will be coming to tour the mission.  In turn, President Packard informed us that Elder Holland has been keeping a very close eye on the three of us and that he knows us by name.  It seems surreal to think that an apostle of the Lord knows Elders Yu, Wilde, and Ribeiro.  After all, we are the same as everyone else!  As President Packard explained to us, Elder Holland knew I was coming to this mission, and he knew the work that was being down in regards to the Chinese speaking mission in Boston.  When I and my companions found this out, we had mixed feelings!  We were both excited and nervous at the same time.  We were excited because Elder Holland knows us and he is awesome!!  His talks always light a fire in you and make you want to do better!  In conjunction with that, we were also nervous.  An apostle of the Lord knows the three of us and the work that is being done here.  It has given us a new sense of responsibility and has made us want to work that much harder. President Packard wouldn't tell us more but told us to look forward to the time when he would come to visit our mission.  All I can say is that I hope I will be here!

 Finally, I want to talk about the adversary and how real he is.  This past week, I had to go to the opportunity to go to Salem, Massachusetts.  For those of you who don't know, Salem is home to the infamous witch hunt that occurred close to the colonization of the United States.  We visited various land marks in Salem that all tied to this historic hunt.  One of the most eerie and ominous sites we visited was Gallows Hill.  Here 18 "witches" were put to death and it has forever remained an attraction.  As we visited the site, and climbed the hill an unusual feeling came over me. 


 I did not feel comforted or at peace like I had felt previously, on a regular basis.  After we stood there for a minute and took a few pictures, we left with a little pep in our step.  I don't write about this to tell you Salem is a horrible place. I write about this to tell you that we feel different when we are in places we should and shouldn't be.  I wrote to you previously about the feeling I had while teaching in the temple, this was not that feeling.  To those reading, I know that the very feeling I was experiencing was not of our Heavenly Father.  I know that it was of the adversary.  While I say Salem is not a horrible place I do say it is a place where I have felt something that I have never felt in any other place in my life.  As all five of us got into the car and headed our way, we all told each other how we felt and it was exactly the same.  As many before us have said, "Stand in holy places."  I do not intend to ever go back there, but I share with you this story because I know that the power of the adversary is real.  I have felt some of the most amazing feelings while out here and this was not one of them.

I don't want to end a weekly letter on such an off topic note.  So to close out my letter, I want to tell you the new challenge that I have undertaken.  Recently I have come to the conclusion that my Chinese is not where I want it to be.  It's good, but it could be better!  As a result, I have committed to reading the Book of Mormon in Chinese!   Many of you may ask, "Well, if your Chinese isn't good enough, then how will you read it?"  This is true!  In Chinese, you can't sound anything out, you either know it or you don't.  Thankfully, the MTC has given me a language study addition so that I can see the words character and pinyin (Romanization form).  Furthermore, because I can only read simplified and not traditional, I have been using a simplified Book of Mormon to read and have referred to the study addition for help when I do not know the world.  Almost immediately, my Chinese has improved, and it has been one of the coolest things!  I truly am excited for this opportunity and know that it will bless me!

Well, that's all I have to share this week!

Hope you all have an amazing week!

Love,

Elder Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment