Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Ninth Week Letter - March 26, 2014


Hey, everyone!
It's been another solid week here in the MBM (Massachusetts Boston Mission).  Like every week, it's filled with its both ups and downs.  I am proud to say that by the end of this week I will have completed my first whole transfer out in the field.  It's weird to think that I have been here for 6 weeks.  It feels like yesterday that I was walking off the plane at Logan International Airport and meeting my Mission President and his wife for the first time!  It's been great and I have loved the time that I have spent out here!  While I have not particularly appreciated the cold that I have experienced out in New England, I have loved the work that my companions and I have put forth.  One of the greatest feelings is teaching someone and watching them as their countenance and personality as a whole changes.  Furthermore, an even better feeling is listening to them as they recount the change that they have experienced for themselves.  Well, like I said, this week has been filled with ups and downs.  Let my start with the down so that I can end this letter on an upbeat note!

Like I mentioned previously, this week is the last week of the transfer.  For those who know about missions, you would know that because it's the last week, it means that transfers are coming up.  On a side note, this is why I am writing on Wednesday instead of Monday!  Today is transfer meeting for those who have been reassigned to other areas.  The Cambridge South Zone, of which I am a part of, was shaken this t-text (transfer text).  Both of our Zone Leaders were released, one ward was closed, and there are a number of reassignments.  In my district, one Elder and one Sister have been reassigned.  Elder Worthington, whom you may recall is district mom, has been reassigned and I am sad to see him go.  Sister Platt has also been reassigned and she has been instrumental in helping us teach Jessica.  Both missionaries have served in the Cambridge 1st Ward for 6 months and as such were taken back when they saw that they were being moved.  I am so sad that they have been reassigned but know that the Lord has plans for both of them and know that they will do great and amazing things in their new areas!

Now that I have shared my least favorite news of the week, I can tell you about the great work that has taken place since I talked with you last.  Yesterday my companionship and I had the opportunity to take Jessica to the temple with Sister Platt and a member.  While we did not go past the main desk, we did have a lesson in the waiting room.  Jessica has been struggling recently to know if the church is true.  She has a variety of friends that belong to different faiths who have very vocally voiced their opinions.  As I have gotten to know Jessica, I have come to see that she can very easily be persuaded. Recently she has questioned the authority and validity of the church, which are both valid concerns and some that I had at one point in my life.  As my companions and I were thinking of what we could do for her to have a spiritual experience, I was prompted to suggest going to the temple.  I figured that if there was anywhere that she could feel the spirit and pray to know of the truthfulness of the gospel it would be there.  After planning and setting up a time, we were able to go yesterday. 


 Boston, Massachusetts Temple
 It was one of the most amazing discussions I have had with an investigator.  At the end of the lesson, we invited Jessica to to pray, to which she accepted.  In her prayer, she talked about how she felt something different in the temple and liked it.  As she said that, a smile came over me and I knew that we had done the right thing to bring her to this sacred house of the Lord.  After the prayer, Sister Platt, the member, and Jessica all left and we sat there recounting the lesson and trying to figure out how we would get home.  My companions and I knew that this was what she needed and knew that we had done the right thing to bring her there.  I guess if there is anything that I would want to communicate through this story it's that, the temple is a place where the spirit dwells more strongly than any other place.  The temple helps me to feel the spirit and other people don't have to be members of our church to have that same feeling. 
Elder Wilde with his two companions at the Boston Temple
 I know my letter is border lining too long so I will very quickly share another experience I had this week.  On Friday, we had a lesson with Ann accompanied by the Cambridge 1st sisters (Sister Platt and Sister Budvarson).  That particular day we had two lessons scheduled at the same time so Elder Yu and a member went to another lesson while Elder Ribeiro and I went to the lesson with Ann. Because of this, I had to lead the lesson in Chinese.  Before I go any further, I want to preface that my Chinese is not good.  I don't think anyone outside of my immediate family understands my lack of Chinese.  Needless to say, I studied hard the night before and the morning of so that I would be able to communicate with this woman.  The plan was to teach the a segment of the Plan of Salvation. More specifically, we wanted to teach where we come from, why we are here on earth, and the atonement.  As we got into the lesson, I was feeling adequate at best.  I knew that I would be able to communicate my point and that most likely she would understand me.  As we sat down to recount her week and got into our discussion, she asked me how she could feel peace and comfort all of the time and just not some of the time.  I translated that to the three other missionaries sitting on either side of me and Sister Platt ushered Ann to turn to Mosiah 18: 8-10.  After reading that, I felt like I should extend a baptismal invitation.  At that very same time, I had that impression I knew that I was also my first time doing it out in the field and suddenly got nervous.  I took three seconds and composed myself and looked up at Ann and extended an invitation for her to be baptized. She replied back, with a smile on her face, and said yes she would!!  After she said that, I got so excited!  Now if you can imagine at this point, I am the only one of the four of us that speaks Chinese, or some Chinese.  So you have three other missionaries looking at Elder Wilde like what just happened...  It only took me a moment to realize that they didn't know what had just taken place.  After I told them everything that had just happened, they too were overcome with that same excitement!  It was awesome! After that, we set up a date for her baptism which will be on April 13th.  This is where things got embarrassing for a brief moment.  She asked me what time the baptism would be.  I told her what I thought for a split second was 4:30pm.  She looked up at me frantically and said 4:30 IN THE MORNING??  I sat there and just put my hand to my face and started laughing.  Yes, I just had one of those moments.  I had to just mixed up afternoon and morning in Chinese.  After that, I clarified everything and she was relieved to know that it would be at 4:30pm not am!  After that, we went about and taught her what we had planned to teach her and all went well.  It was such a neat experience and yet another one that I will never forget!

Well, I hope I didn't take too much of your time with my letter.  I know it's a little longer than the rest of them, but I felt like these were some pretty good stories to share with you.  Hopefully you will be able to read and learn from my stories and even my mistakes.  I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Love,

Elder Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment