Monday, February 24, 2014

Fifth Week Letter - February 24, 2014

Hi, everyone! 

I have completed 1 month of my mission as of Saturday!  I have loved it all and have learned so much within the past month that it almost seems surreal!  It feels as if sometimes, time itself, slows way down and you wonder if you are going to be able to get through the day.  Then at other times you wonder if you are going to have enough time in the day to do all that you need to do.  I have loved my time here in Boston and have grown to love the people with whom I serve with and whom I serve. 

It's interesting being a walking elder.  While over 70% of the mission has cars, myself and my companions are among a select group who do not have that luxury.  Instead, we memorize where we go and hope to remember it for future purposes.  However, we are often faced with appointments of not knowing where to go.  When faced with a challenge of not knowing where to go, what should you do?  For us it's easy.  We head over to Apple!  Apple has so many computers that we can just jump on and look up the address and take a picture of it and leave.  What ultimately ends up happening is that we go, and we are approached by a store worker about buying a product.  We decline the offer and in turn tell them that we have something to share with them.  It may not amount to much in the moment, but statistics show that it takes almost 8 encounters with the missionaries before someone gets a lesson.  As we talk to everyone about the gospel, my companions and I cannot help but think that we are helping others come closer to getting that first lesson. 

Missionary work is easy.  For example, President Haight of the Mission Presidency has made it a life goal to share the gospel or a principle of the gospel to at least one person everyday.  Now no one checks up on him to make sure he is doing it, but it's a great goal and can easily be accounted.  For those of you reading, I invite you to share the gospel with someone at least twice a week.  I know that by doing so we will fulfill the "every member a missionary" role that our leaders expect of us. 

"EVERY MEMBER A MISSIONARY."
So, it's been a month.  What has Elder Wilde learned?  In a non spiritual sense, I have learned how to make a pretty creative and tasty breakfast burrito.  In a more spiritual sense, I have learned more than I could have thought.  However, I would like to address the topic of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith.  In the talk I gave this week in our Chinese group, I talked about the power that the Book of Mormon has in our lives.  I talked about its power as a keystone and its power as a tool to be used for personal revelation.  (I had some help with my talk for all the Chinese words, don't worry).  In conjunction with the mission challenge to read the Book of Mormon and circle/underline all the names referenced to Christ, his attributes, and words, I have strengthened my testimony that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ.  Now I mentioned Joseph Smith.  From what I perceive about Brother Smith, at the age of 14 before his vision and up until he translated the Book of Mormon, he knew of Jesus Christ but did not have an in depth knowledge of him meaning he did not reference his name in a variety of ways. 

What I am trying to get at is that within the first 78 pages of the Book of Mormon, part way into 2nd Nephi, the words Jesus and Christ are not used.  Up until that point he is referred to in a series of different names.  To those who say Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon, I say how can that be? For 78 pages it would be impossible for me to not reference the most recognized name of our Savior. I know that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon and did not write it from scratch.  I know that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ.  I invite you to buy a plain Book of Mormon and take up the challenge of the Boston Mission.  I know that if you do so, your lives will be greatly blessed and you will gain a reassuring testimony that the Book of Mormon is true.  I invite you to do it so that you can teach me!  I know I miss things and I love to hear what other people learn. 

This week on Monday, I started the Book of Mormon again and as of this morning, I am in Mosiah.  I love reading this book.  As I have gone through it, I have marked new things in different colors to illustrate that each time we read we learn something new.  In reference to what my Mission President said yesterday in Stake Priesthood Conference, "This book feeds me like no other book has."  I know this to be true.  Take up the MBM (Massachusetts Boston Mission) challenge.  I know you will be blessed because I have already been blessed.  

I love you all so much.  Hopefully my emails make sense to you.  If not, I am ever so sorry. 

Love,

Elder Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment